Sunday, January 29, 2012

blog #3 brainwashed

http://changethis.com/manifesto/66.01.Brainwashed/pdf/66.01.Brainwashed.pdf

Seth Godin references seven levers they are connect, be generous, make art, acknowledge the lizard, ship, fail, and learn.   Acknowledge the lizard is another way of saying we are scared to fail and break the rules.  It is the "resistance".  Artists believe this is what keeps people from actually creating.  Acknowledging the lizard is the first step in fighting the resistance.  Once we can acknowledge the lizard we can continue on and do our work. Be generous is doing something that in the short run might not benefit you but it benefits a greater cause which in return eventually benefits you and the whole economy.  Be generous is a way to make the economy work.  Learn is a way of saying we never really leave school.  As a human race we should continue learning and developing the ways we think and what we think.  We learn from experiencing life.

     Brainwashed by Seth Godin is a message about how when we are first born we are taught that being  average is a good thing, a way to keep the economy going.  But now this is not the case we need to think out side the box.  As a child I always wondered what was the point of going to school and learning things like the periodic table of elements, the Pythagorean theorem, or about the Vietnam War.  I thought school seemed pointless.  After reading what Seth Godin had to say I understand school is not really pointless but we are being taught wrong.  The world has evolved over the last ten years tremendously.  So has the fact that doing average in school and accomplishing the task of getting a job right out of college.  This simple fact is no longer a fact but now a misconception.  Godin is saying as a society we need to embrace this new world and start thinking in a new way, we should reinvent the way we work.
     As a college student majoring in media, I have started to look at the world differently.  The way I interact with people, how I watch things, and how I spend my time has all started to change.  As a person I have always been interested in media.  I grew up fascinated with movies and television.  I never really knew what I wanted to do but consistently always had a passion for media no matter what form it came in.  College has been an eye opening experience so far.  I feel as a college student who is already concerned about what I will do once I graduate, what Godin had to say really affected me.  I understand his seven levers and believe since the world is changing, reinventing the way people do work is a good thing.  Doing these blogs in class is a perfect example of how I have started to think differently.  I believe already I have grown as a student and an artist. I have already started to learn by doing these blogs.  I never saw myself as a blogger in high school but the more I learn to analyze and express my opinions the more I am glad I am experiencing blogging.  I whole-heartedly believe as humans we never leave school, meaning we never stop learning.  After reading Godin I see school as a state of mind more than a physical place.  Going to lecture and then having to do these blogs has taught me to expand on what I learn in class and continue to learn outside the class room.
     What Godin has said about reinventing the way we think and do is something I started as soon as I came to college.  I do not know if majoring in media has helped but I do know that these blogs have allowed me to start thinking differently.  Which is what reinventing is all about.  

           

No comments:

Post a Comment